Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Abortion...but probably not what you would expect.

Imagine you wake up one morning to find a stranger in bed next to you. Before you can even scream, another person walks into the room and tells you that this individual in bed with you is a famous violinist whose kidneys failed during the night. Somehow you were selected as a match for this person's blood type, etc., and during the night you were kidnapped, drugged, and brought to this room where the violinist was essentially hooked up to your kidneys. In order for him to survive, you must remain hooked up to him for the next nine months. If you disconnect, he will die.

The question is: Should you be legally required to remain tethered to the violinist? What about morally?

How is this different from requiring a woman who has been raped to carry a pregnancy to term?


I really want everyone's opinions on this one. I will share my viewpoints in my next post.

As for the abortion discussion, Todd Phillips has and EXCELLENT argument that you should probably check out.

I know I haven't blogged since Africa, but I'm hoping that will change soon :)

2 comments:

AnniePat said...

i found your blog linked from a friend's blog, and the title of this entry caught my attention...

i'm guessing you've never given birth before, so i want to tell you that the experience of being pregnant and going through labor and delivery, and ultimately holding a baby, is, in a word, life-changing. i assure you, as a woman who has given birth more than once, that comparing it to being hooked up to a stranger's kidneys is so far removed from the actual experience--i hate the thought that one would regard it as even remotely similar. that said, i believe that whether the baby in my womb were the child of my loving husband or that of a complete stranger has no bearing on my responsibility to that child. pregnancy is not demobilizing (as being attached by the kidneys to another would be), and neither is it fruitless (you get a baby at the end of the nine months!...what does the kidney scenario get you??).

i believe that God has a way of using the most unfortunate situations (rape) to mold us, and i believe He would equally use what seems to be a worst-case-scenario (pregnancy as a result) to heal in a way only He can. after all, nothing lightens a mood like a baby. :)

Only Servants Ministries said...

I'm really late on this entry- but I'm with AnniePat. IN fact, I couldn't agree more. I, too, believe that we should do as James says and "consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds..." B/c God wants to teach us something through it... b/c he wants us to become mature and complete- not lacking in anything.