Monday, September 8, 2008

Keira in LONDON!

Yes! I made it to London! This will be a quick update on the past four days, which have been the longest ever. Saying good bye to Huruma was hard, but it's harder actually being gone. I miss Shauna so much and everything reminds me of her. Chris and Lindy told us we acted like an old married couple and to be honest I understand why. I love her.

London is amazing. I ended up waiting for 2 hours in the airport looking for my mom, turns out she missed her flight from Chicago to London because of a hurricane. I couldn't get a hold of my dad because he was in Mexico so luckily I got a hold of someone in his office who my mom had left the information with. I made it on a train and to the hotel all on my own :) ...yes, I'm a big girl now haha. My mom showed up a few hours later and now we have been walking around London non stop for the past three days. It's definitely good and I could use exercise after the weight that I gained in Africa...I totally thought I would lose weight but turns out potatoes, beans and rice, (along with comfort chocolate everyday) makes you put pounds on, not take them off. Everything in London is absolutely beautiful; the architecture, the lush green scenery, the boys with british accents. Needless to say, I'm having a great time and I'm convinced I have to bring Shannon back here.

It's such a strange mix of emotions being here. It is taking my attention off Huruma in some ways and reminding me of it even more in others. Obviously Shauna and those kids are in my thoughts and prayers constantly, but the excitement of London has eased the pain of being separated from them. I know it's going to be like a stab in my heart when I'm sitting at home, looking at pictures and realizing how far I am from them. At the same time, being in these classy stores where people are spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on clothes, purses, shoes...it's disgusting. I told my mom I want to take pictures of Kibera blown up and walk around the stores with them in my hands. She didn't think that would go over too well. All of this still kind of feels like a dream and I don't think it's truly hit me that I've left Kenya. On the other hand, I'm ecstatic that I get to see all of my friends and family in 6 days!! Yay!

Tomorrow morning we leave for Paris. This surely is a dream come true and I am overflowing with gratefulness for the blessings God has given me.

7 comments:

Kevin Eberhart said...

haha why would you be excited to see things like smoke coming from things spontaniously combusting due to overheating and people like...me when you are in london and paris and sweet places like that haha :) i miss you!!

Shannon said...

ah K mama!!!! SIX DAYS!!!! I seriously might cry I am so stinkin exciteddddd!!!!!!!!! :):):) Love you mama and can't wait to see your pretty little face :)

Tamara said...

Keira I can't wait to see you! Its all Tori, shan, amanda & I have been looking forward to these past few weeks! Have a good time in Paris girl you deserve it! I love you with ALL of my heart & am countin down the days

Tanya Kirkpatrick said...

Kiera enjoy yourself and your momma! Love you girl and can't wait to squish you and do lunch! Let me know after you catch up on sleep etc. and I will continually be praying for safe travels!

Muah!

Breanna said...

COME HOME!!!! :D hahaha I miss you sooo much!!!!!!! See you in a few days!!!!!

-Beans

Bryan said...

you didn't get to see everyone : /.


I miss you, but I am SO SO SO glad you had a good time
you are definitely an inspiration.

I hope and pray all is well now that you are back home. Next time tell me if you're going on a mission trip and I'll meet you there.

The second year after high school (not next year, but the year after) I'm going to be working with Caravan Ministries for an entire year in Mexico.


I feel as though I am not one who has a calling towards a life as a missionary, but I am definitely someone who won't serve outside my comfort zone (which I have successfully popped YEARS ago) I was like seven, and it totally threw off my game when I played soccer

haha, the soccer thing made no sense, I know.


but in all honesty, I will still do a lot of missionary work (I sincerely hope so) in the future, but not full time. I believe God has a different plan.



As much as I've missed you, I would hate to keep you from doing God's work, and I'm proud of you for living and serving. : ) You have a servant's heart

If you ever decide to toss all the pictures, Ill do it with you

Only Servants Ministries said...

i need your phone NUMBER!!!